Friday, February 24, 2012

Dare to be Different

No less true words have been spoken than, "we don't want to be noticed because we're different" (37). At least, it is not true for writers. I am reading The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlate for a class, and that is where I found this quote. The passage continued, "We want to make sure that we dress appropriately, speak appropriately, act appropriately. Well, creative writing is the one area where you don't want to be 'appropriate'" (37). I have found useful information in the book thus far but this quote did not sit well. While I never break any social norms that would shock anyone, I certainly do not try to hide my differences to keep from being noticed. I am proud of my differences. I believe that the truly creative are different and they do not care if anyone notices. Writers live on a different wavelength, everything is a story, everything has a reason behind it and it is our jobs to invent that reason. I am not sure how "different" I actually am but I want to be noticed and I want to be different from others who are noticed because that is how you get noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment